Main Article Content
in the focus of scientific interests of the Ruthenian subethnos research. They presented various issues of the
western branch of Ukrainians in the most comprehensive
way. At the same time, we can observe a certain tendency
in focusing only on those those publishing projects that
were created from the standpoint of Ukrainian ideology.
Thus, Lemko periodicals that were created by adherents
of other ideological orientations have been almost
completely eliminated from scientific discourse. One
vivid example of that tendency is ignoring of rather
popular Moscophiles among Lemkos. However, it is
obvious that without taking into account all points of
view, it is impossible to fully recreate the ideological
world of Lemko sub-ethnos. We believe that it is the best
to start the explanation of this tendency with the
publishing phenomenon of the «Lemko» newspaper in
The purpose of the article is to investigate the
ideological platform, the features of editorial policy
and the content of the Lemko newspaper.
Results. The idea of a new «Lemko» edition
emerged in early 1934 as a reaction to activation of the
publishing activity of the pro-Ukrainian part of the
Ruthenians. The «Lemko» ideological platform was
based on the theories about the Lemko autochthonous
age, the ethnic identity of the Lemkos, and their mental
unity with the world of «Ruthenian» culture. The main
stance of «Lemko» publishers was straightforwardly
anti-Ukrainianist, which contrasted sharply with progovernment rhetoric. At the heart of «Lemko’s»
historical policy, typical for most Moscophile
institutions, was the commemoration of the victims of
homicide at the Tellerhof camp in 1914. However, the
advisory and economic component of «Lemko’s»
editorial policy was quite positive. The magazine’s
editorial staff has constantly made significant efforts to
broadcast the effects of economic modernization to its
readers. Like most peasant periodicals, «Lemko» paid
close attention to the intensification of traditional
industries and the promotion of new forms of activity in
Conclusions. The study has concluded that
«Lemko» was a unique publishing project that reflected
the little-known daily life of the Ruthenians who shared
the Moscophile values. The ideology of the newspaper
was archaic, leading to the preservation of the
Ruthenian community at the level of mental practices
of the nineteenth century. This ideological orientation
made it impossible to respond adequately to the modern
challenges of the first half of the twentieth century, which
could only be overcome by united national communities.
Therefore, despite all the significant efforts of «Lemko»
to enforce its influence on compatriots and expand its
readership, the periodical did not withstand
competition with the pro-Ukrainian edition of «Nash
Lemko» and, despite state support, after less than two
years of functioning, ceased to exist.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms.
1. The authors reserve the right to be an author of their work and grant the journal the right to first publish the work under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC-BY 4.0), which allows others to freely distribute the published work with a mandatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. Authors have the right to make separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal (for example, to post in an electronic repository of the institution or to publish in a monograph) maintaining the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal.
3. The journal policy allows and encourages the submission of manuscripts by the authors on the Internet (for example, in repositories of institutions or on personal websites) both before the submission to the editor and during its editorial revision since it promotes productive scientific discussion and has a positive impact on the promptness and dynamics of citing the published work.
AGREEMENTABOUT TRANSMISSION OF COPYRIGHT
I, the author of the article / We, the authors of the manuscript __________________________________________________________________
in case of its acceptance for publication, we transfer the following rights to the founders and editorial boards of the scientific journal “Ukrainian Peasant”:
1. Publication of this article in Ukrainian (English, Russian, Polish, Belarusian) and distribution of its printed version.
2. Distribution of the electronic version of the article through any electronic means (placing on the official journal web site, in electronic databases, repositories, etc.). At the same time, we reserve the right without consent of the editorial board and the founders:
1. To use article materials in full or in part for educational purposes.
2. To use article materials in full or in part for writing our own dissertations.
3. To use article materials to prepare abstracts, conference reports, and oral presentations.
4. To post electronic copies of the article (including the final electronic version downloaded from the journal’s official website) to:
a. personal web-resources of all authors (web sites, web pages, blogs, etc.);
b. web-resources of the institutions where the authors work (including electronic institutional repositories);
с. non-profit open-access web-resources (such as arXiv.org).
With this agreement, we also certify that the submitted manuscript meets the following criteria:
1. Does not contain calls for violence, inciting racial or ethnic enmity, which are disturbing, threatening, shameful, libelous, cruel, obscene, vulgar, etc.
2. Does not infringe on the copyrights and intellectual property rights of others or organizations; contains all the references to the cited authors and / or publications envisaged by applicable copyright law, as well as the results and facts used in the article by other authors or organizations.
3. It has not been previously published in other publishers and has not been published in other editions.
4. Does not include material that is not subject to publication in the open press, in accordance with current law.
signature Author’s name
Наконечний В. Часопис «Наш лемко» – феномен
русинської періодики міжвоєнного часу. Україна:
культурна спадщина, національна свідомість,
державність. 2017. Вип. 29. С. 520-528.
От редакции. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 1. С. 1.
Што каждый Лемко мусит знати о собі. Лемко. 1934.
Ч. 1. С. 1.
Ци єст даяка рада на кризи. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 7. С. 1.
Политика в нашых церквах. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 1. С. 2.
Як отбылася в Сяноці украинска парада в честь
епископа Коцыловского. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 1. С. 2-3.
Именины Маршала Пилсудского. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 2.
Тельвак В. Творча спадщина Михайла Грушевського
в оцінках сучасників (кінець ХІХ – 30-ті роки ХХ століття).
Київ ; Дрогобич : Вимір, 2008. 494 с.
Отдаймме всенародный поклон. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 6. С.
Што нам робити. Лемко. 1934. Ч. 5. С. 1.
Сто тисяч делегатов хлопскых на собраню в столиці.
Лемко. 1934. Ч. 3. С. 1.
Що нам грозит?! Лемко. 1934. Ч. 4. С. 1.