Main Article Content
Introduction. In this article the author seeks to deepen the study of the views of the Ukrainian fi gure of the last
nineteenth – fi rst quarter of the twentieth century E. Chykalenko to the peasantry of the South of Ukraine.
In essence, this investigation is a continuation of the analysis of a broad scientifi c problem, which was recently
covered in the pages of «Ukrainian Peasant» (Cherkasy, 2019, №22). If in the mentioned article it was concluded that it
is expedient to study the original peasant world in the context of its own cultural circle, to interpret its diffusion, namely,
the limits and intensity of spread to cultural circles of other ethnic groups (Russians, Germans, Jews, etc.), here the
author’s attention is drawn to something else, namely – algorithms and the general culture of communication of rural
people with the natural environment, social environment, political environment. We are also talking about the content
and nature of everyday relations of peasants, mental and ideological factors of their decisions and reproductive actions,
manners of everyday behavioral practices, the problem of snobbery, «ethnic» separatism, nobility, ideology.
Purpose. To deepen the research of various aspects of everyday life and activity of the Ukrainian peasantry of
the South of Ukraine in the memoirs / views of E. Chykalenko, occasionally «updating» some principles of the used
Methods. The methodological peculiarity of exploration is a set of original categories of ethnological science,
which make it possible to discover the everyday life of Ukrainian peasantry, to distinguish and analyze its various
aspects – interaction with the natural and social environment, problems of identity, self-esteem, interethnic confl icts,
modern transformation, etc.
Results. In his vision of the peasantry of southern Ukraine (also Poltava region), E. Chykalenko proved to be quite
dependent on those ideological priorities that were inherent in the Ukrainian intelligentsia of his time. Such problems
include grounds for the dominance of social aspects of ideas. These views were quite stable. At the same time, in
contrast to the then widespread Marxist interpretations of «production relations» in the countryside, Chykalenko did not
sympathize with the class approach to explaining the obvious processes of social stratifi cation of the village.
Originality. The novelty of the study lies in the marked increase in scientifi c knowledge about the ethnographic
features of the Ukrainian (southern Ukrainian) peasantry in the late nineteenth – early decades of the twentieth century,
as they are refl ected in the «Memoirs» of Eugene Chykalenko. Analyzed in historical retrospect, these features refl ect
a truly unique and at the same time universal world of the traditional Ukrainian population, which gives grounds for
conceptually alternative interpretations of many events, phenomena, processes of the late imperial period.
Conclusion. The study confi rmed and enriched the author’s earlier conclusion that the Ukrainian peasantry of
the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and in this case its so-called «southern» phenomenon, should be
imagined and interpreted as a unique historical phenomenon. This uniqueness stems from the truly original cultural
and communicative nature, both environmental and social (socio-cultural). All this strengthens the belief in the need to
look for an alternative to the still excessive dependence of historians on politically ordered or politically conditioned
interpretation of the past of the Ukrainian peasantry.
Authors published in this journal agree to the following terms.
1. The authors reserve the right to be an author of their work and grant the journal the right to first publish the work under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC-BY 4.0), which allows others to freely distribute the published work with a mandatory reference to the authors of the original work and the first publication of the work in this journal.
2. Authors have the right to make separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the work in the form in which it was published by this journal (for example, to post in an electronic repository of the institution or to publish in a monograph) maintaining the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal.
3. The journal policy allows and encourages the submission of manuscripts by the authors on the Internet (for example, in repositories of institutions or on personal websites) both before the submission to the editor and during its editorial revision since it promotes productive scientific discussion and has a positive impact on the promptness and dynamics of citing the published work.
AGREEMENTABOUT TRANSMISSION OF COPYRIGHT
I, the author of the article / We, the authors of the manuscript __________________________________________________________________
in case of its acceptance for publication, we transfer the following rights to the founders and editorial boards of the scientific journal “Ukrainian Peasant”:
1. Publication of this article in Ukrainian (English, Russian, Polish, Belarusian) and distribution of its printed version.
2. Distribution of the electronic version of the article through any electronic means (placing on the official journal web site, in electronic databases, repositories, etc.). At the same time, we reserve the right without consent of the editorial board and the founders:
1. To use article materials in full or in part for educational purposes.
2. To use article materials in full or in part for writing our own dissertations.
3. To use article materials to prepare abstracts, conference reports, and oral presentations.
4. To post electronic copies of the article (including the final electronic version downloaded from the journal’s official website) to:
a. personal web-resources of all authors (web sites, web pages, blogs, etc.);
b. web-resources of the institutions where the authors work (including electronic institutional repositories);
с. non-profit open-access web-resources (such as arXiv.org).
With this agreement, we also certify that the submitted manuscript meets the following criteria:
1. Does not contain calls for violence, inciting racial or ethnic enmity, which are disturbing, threatening, shameful, libelous, cruel, obscene, vulgar, etc.
2. Does not infringe on the copyrights and intellectual property rights of others or organizations; contains all the references to the cited authors and / or publications envisaged by applicable copyright law, as well as the results and facts used in the article by other authors or organizations.
3. It has not been previously published in other publishers and has not been published in other editions.
4. Does not include material that is not subject to publication in the open press, in accordance with current law.
signature Author’s name
Vzhosek, V. (2012). Istoriia – Kultura – Metafora. Postannia neklasychnoi istoriohrafi i. [History – Culture – Metaphor.
Non-classical historiography; About historical thinking]. Kyiv: Nika-Center. (in Ukrainian).
Lytvynova, T. (2011). «Pomishchytska pravda». Dvorianstvo Livoberezhnoi Ukrainy ta selianske pytannia naprykintsi
XVIII – u pershii polovyni XIX stolittia (ideolohichnyi aspekt). [«Landlord’s Truth». The nobility of the Left Bank of Ukraine
and the peasans question in the late eighteenth – in the fi rst half of the nineteenth century (ideological aspect)]. Dnipropetrovsk:
Lira. (in Ukrainian).
Oryshchenko, R. (2019). Relihiinyi svit ukrainskykh selian druhoi polovyny XIX – pershoi tretyny XX st. [The
religious world of Ukrainian peasants the second half of the nineteenth – fi rst third of the twentieth century]. Cherkasy:
«Vertykal». (in Ukrainian).
Etnichnyi dovidnyk [Ethnic handbook]. 12.12.2019. Retrieved from: http://etnography.national.org.ua/glossary/e.
Yakovenko, N. (2017). U poshukakh Novoho neba. Zhyttia i teksty Yoanykiia Galiatovskoho. [In search of the New
Heaven. Life and lyrics by Yoanikii Galiatkovsky]. Kyiv: Laurus; Krytyka. (in Ukrainian).
Berehovyi, S. & Sylka, O. (2020). Borys Lazarevskyi pro povsiakdenne zhyttia emihratsii v Paryzhi (za materialamy
shchodennyka «Ma Vie»: 1917 – 1929). [Borys Lazarevskyi on the daily life of emigration in Paris (according to the diary
«Ma Vie»: 1917 – 1929)]. Visnyk Cherkaskoho universytetu. Seriia: Istorychni nauky (Visnyk of Cherkasy University. Series:
Historical Sciences), №1, 102–109. (in Ukrainian).
Kyriushko, M. (2021). Etnokonfesiini spilnoty Ukrainy u systemi faktoriv vidtvorennia istorychnoi pamiati
(teoretyko-metodolohichni aspekty doslidzhennia. [Ethno-confessional communities of Ukraine in the system of factors of
reproduction of historical memory (theoretical and methodological aspects of research)]. Naukovi zapysky Instytutu politychnykh
i etnonatsionalnykh doslidzhen im. I. F. Kurasa NAN Ukrainy (Scientifi c notes of the Institute of Political and Ethno-National
Studies named after I. F. Kuras NAS of Ukraine), 2, 308–319. (in Ukrainian).
Tolstoy, N. (1885). Yazyik i narodnaya kultura: ocherki po slavyanskoy mifologii i etnolingvistike [Language and
folk culture: essays on Slavic mythology and ethnolinguistics]. Moscow: Indrik, 509. (in Russian).
Arutiunov, S. (2012). Siluetyi etnichnosti na tsivilizatsionnom fone: monogr [Silhouettes of ethnicity on a civilizational
background]. Moscow: NIC Infra-M, 416. (in Russian).
Prysiazhniuk, Yu. (2008). Istorychna svidomist ta mentalnist ukrainskykh selian na zlami ХIХ – ХХ st. [Historical
consciousness and the mentality of the Ukrainian peasants at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries]. Historia –
mentalność – tożsamość. Miejsce i rola historii oraz historyków w życiu narodu polskiego i ukraińskiego w XIX i XX wieku
(History – mentality – identity. The place and role of history and historians in the life of the Polish and Ukrainian nation in the
nineteenth and twentieth centuries), 348–355. (in Ukrainian).
Kachan, Yu. (2018). Evoliutsiia selianskoi simi pivdennoukrainskoho rehionu v konteksti modernizatsiinykh protsesiv
kintsia ХIХ – pershoi chverti ХХ st. [Evolution of the peasant family of the southern Ukrainian region in the context of
modernization processes of the end of the nineteenth – fi rst quarter of the twentieth century]. Candidate’s thesis. (in Ukrainian).
Starovoitenko, I. (2008). Yevhen Chykalenko ta yoho spadshchyna v ukrainskii istoriohrafi i [Eugene Chykalenko and
his legacy in Ukrainian historiography]. Istoriohrafi chni doslidzhennia v Ukraini (Historiographical research in Ukraine), 18,
–163. (in Ukrainian).
Chykalenko, E. (1955). Spohady (1861 – 1907) [Memories (1861 – 1907)]. New-York: Ukrainian Free Academy of
Sciences in USA. (In USA).
Babak, M., Naiden, O. & Prysiazhniuk, Yu. (2014). Silska fotohrafi ia Serednoi Naddniprianshchyny kintsia
XIX – XX st. [Rural photography of the Middle Naddniprianschyna at the end of the nineteenth – twentieth centuries]. Kyiv:
Intertehnology-Cherkasy. 718. (in Ukrainian).
Vislich, T. (2016 – 2017). Doslidzhennia domodernu u perspektyvi posthumanistyky. [Pre-modern research in the
perspective of posthumanism]. Eidos. Almanakh teorii ta istorii istorychnoi nauky (Eidos. Almanakh of theory and history of
historical science), 9, 113–128. (in Ukrainian).